Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

I'm Back Jack!

Hey everyone

I know I haven't been writing too much lately. I have a ton of things going on (what else is new?).  I was very busy over on my devon4africa blog during December, as we were doing fundraising for the medical clinic we're going to build in Guinea Bissau, West Africa. I am very happy to announce that we met (exceeded our goal) for phase 1 and funds have been sent, so that construction can begin. Whoo Hoo! After working so hard on the project and posting over there almost daily, I decided to take a few days off.

So as I attempt to catch you up, let's start with....

The new seasons have begun on some of my favorite TV shows, and guess what? I found even more new shows to add to my schedule.  Just what I needed! (rolling eyes)

The Bachelor Season 17
One of my returning favorites -
The Bachelor new season started on Monday Jan 7. The new Bachelor is Sean Lowe (one of the 3 finalist who was ultimately sent home in Emily's, The Bachelorette season). To be honest, I was a bit un-enthused and under-whelmed at the thought of Sean becoming the new bachelor, but, have to admit, I actually like him!

The 1st episode was very cute and I found myself laughing out loud at some of the women's corny poems, songs and tricks as they exited the limo to meet Sean.

On this Monday's episode, we learned more about the ladies and got to peek inside what makes Sean tick. It was a little bit of a surprise (no, it was a BIG surprise to me) to see so many African American women in the mix this season. I think I counted 4 - (yes four).  In the past, there have been maybe one or 2, here and there, sprinkled over 17 seasons (and they were always quickly sent home). This time, Robyn, one of the African American women asked Sean a question about what part race played in his decision making for choosing a date/mate. I thought his answer was pretty good! He was sweet, kind and considerate. His answer seemed very genuine, especially for having it thrown at him out of nowhere. I will take his answer at face value.

BTW - there was a recent lawsuit filed against ABC
Oct 15, 2012
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A federal judge on Monday dismissed a case filed by two black men who claimed ABC's "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette" discriminated against casting participants of color.
 U.S. District Court Judge Aleta Trauger's ruling states that casting decisions by the network and the series' producers are protected by the First Amendment and the case should not continue.  Source 

Click here to watch the scene where Robyn asks what Sean he is looking for and how race plays into it (sorry video is "exclusive" so could not post - click to watch).

I'm Just Sayin!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments: