Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

From Roach Coach to Gourmet Food Truck - Food Truck Wars!

If you are like most people, you may not have been aware of the growing phenomena of the food cart industry. I wasn't. My thoughts about food trucks were that I really didn't want to eat from one.  The stereotypical  picture of a "roach coach" immediately came to mind. 


The first time I knew that there was a new kind of  food cart, was when I visited Portland last Oct. Portland has over 600 trucks! I was pretty impressed with the line up of creatively designed trucks selling all kinds of food from tacos to Thai.


It was pretty clever how they were all clumped together on a few blocks in downtown Portland. It gave the city a very modern vibe. The carts seemed to exist peaceably with the restaurants which were situated only a few feet away.


I really didn't think much more about it until I happened to look out the window at work last week and noticed the grilled cheese truck parked across the street and right in front of the Shanghai Commercial Bank. 




The new trend seems to have come about after the Food Network brought us "The Great Food Truck Race". The reason it has been growing rapidly in cities all across the U.S is because, it works! 


I've heard that social media is taking credit for its success but I think it is also a result of the economy. The emergence of this industry pretty much coincides with the economic down turn which shook up many businesses. There were a lot of people out of work and there wasn't much available cash to strike out on your own to open a restaurant. But...there just might be enough cash to open a mobile truck business of some sort. Marketing costs are low and it is considerably cheaper to operate a food truck (plus you can move it from place to place everyday, if needed).


The effect on the public has been mostly positive as well. I really enjoyed my grilled cheese sandwich!  


What a great way to enjoy gourmet food without paying the high price associated with an upscale restaurant. I have read that some of the restaurant owners (in the Bay Area where I live) are not so happy with the appearance of these trucks parked right outside their establishments. They have claimed that it is taking away their business. San Francisco now boasts over 150 trucks. Personally, I think that there is really not much competition between a food cart and a restaurant. If I want to go in, sit down at a table and have a "restaurant" type experience, I will go inside to eat. On the days where I just want to grab a bite to eat but want to partake of a meal that I wouldn't usually have on any normal day, I will check out a food cart. It's that simple.








There are also links which will tell you where the different trucks will be parked on a given day. (Check your local city for more information) 


I'm Just Sayin!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments: