Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Knick Knack Patty Whack - DON'T give your dog a bone! - Conclusion


With both the girls in the car we drove to the Pet Emergency Center in Berkeley.  The girl’s regular Vet practices at a holistic clinic and they highly recommended this center above all others. This was my first time having to take either of them anywhere at night in an emergency. When I inquired about taking them to an emergency center closer to my house the answer I received was “well you could” (said sort of like, well you could…if you don’t care whether they live or not).

Anyway we arrived at the center and I filled out the paperwork. We spent about 90 minutes in the waiting room and another 45 in the exam room. It reminded me very much of a “real” hospital. Doctors and interns in hospital garb.  

And you wait and you wait and you wait

By the time we finally saw the doctor, Lily was beginning to come around. Dr Barlla examined her and told me that he suspected that she had shards from the bone within her stomach and that trying to pass them might have been a bit painful. Acid in her stomach was working to break down the pieces so that they could be passed (hence the white pebble poop).

Since she wasn’t vomiting he wasn’t as concerned about the severity of her problem (if she was in real distress a red flag would have been vomiting) but he said if I wanted to be sure about exactly what was inside, I could have them take Xrays. At first I was considering it, until I saw the bill. I then opted to forego the Xray in favor of the 2nd option “keep an eye on her for the next 3 days” The bill was about $325. She did receive a water hydration treatment to help flush out the fragments, along with a prescription for Pepcid AC. 

It was plenty scary. We were lucky.

Dr Barlla is the Hospital Director at the Pet Emergency Treatment Center and he gave me some very important information regarding dogs and bones. In case you were unaware, like me, I'd like to pass the info along to you


Now pay attention!

NEVER, Never give your dog a bone! And yes, dogs love them, but just say no! The majority of the cases Dr Barlla sees on emergency are bone related. 

The FDA came out with a consumer warning last April urging owners not to allow dogs to chew on bones because it can cause serious injury, including death.

Bones can cause broken teeth

Mouth and tongue injuries from sharp edges

Get stuck in the esophagus, the windpipe and the stomach

They can cause serious constipation requiring a trip to the vet or ER

They can cause bleeding from the rectum

Peritonitis - an infection in the abdomen from bones fragments poking holes in the tissue.
Peritonitis can kill your dog. 

Pork & ham bones are particularly dangerous – a couple of chomps reduces the bone to splinters as sharp as needles

Rib bones can lodge between the left and right side of the top teeth and make it impossible for the dog to close his mouth

Dogs may love bones, but it’s up to us as owners, to find suitable alternatives. Appropriate choices are; bone-like products made from materials safe for your dog to chew. 
Dr Barlla and my Vet were both against me giving my dogs a particular, very popular, dog bone substitute, that I’m sure many of you also buy for your dogs. I won’t mention the name. My dogs love them. I hated to do it, but on their advice, I threw them out. It’s a good idea to consult with your Vet to determine what's right for you and your dog.

I'm Just Sayin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments: