Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

He Ain't Heavy

Today I bought a Cd (Karam) by a musician and griot (African historian/poet/singer) named Kimi Djabate. He is from Guinea Bissau – SURPRISE! –

This is Kimi Djabate’s 2nd Cd. He sings about the social and political realities of Africa including freedom, poverty, women’s rights and love.
I’m enjoying it, even though he isn’t even singing in English. I think I’ll listen to it during my commute this week. Catchy melody and beat.

I purchased the Cd at Arts Africains (an African art & gift store in Emeryville). Conveniently, it's right next door to the Apple Store. After I decided I probably didn’t really need that iPad, we stopped by and I talked to the owner a little about Africa. He told me that he is from the Ivory Coast and his wife is a Fulani from Guinea (located right next door to Guinea Bissau). His wife used to teach Fulani at Stanford. He also - just happens - to sell fabric. And yep, you got it! He said he would get me whatever African print fabric I needed. Just let him know. (and of course - not for free - so don’t even go there) It’s just good to have a resource. He then took out a Cd and sort of pointed it at me and he said, “here’s a Cd by Kimi Djabate - he's your brother” So, of course I bought it.

Hmmm that reminds me of a song by The Hollie’s

I'm Just Sayin!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments: