Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Back from Paris - Part 2

sent from my Ipad


The Neighrborhood
Food
There were 2 markets within a few blocks of the apt.  One was located to the left of our apt, the other to the right.  It took us 8 days to get it right (I'm not kidding we were TERRIBLE with directions)  Anyway the best one is called the Monoprix. It is located at 50 rue de Rennes (to our left)  It was very interesting.  You enter on the ground floor and you walk right into a department store but then you take the escalator down and  you are in the market.  Voila! You can buy bras and broccoli all at the same time.  Those clever French.  

We bought some groceries (and wine - btw never saw a bottle of merlot or pinot - had to learn new wines. We settled mostly on Bordeaux) to cook in our tiny french kitchen (our kitchen was completely stocked with dishes, glasses, pots and pans - no dishwasher or microwave but instead a washing machine was located next to the stove) While Brenda was with us, she saw to it that we had the most delicious and eye appealing meals  We had some special little dish everyday and always, always topped off with that perfect glass of wine or champagne (I really missed her when she was gone - left to my own devices, the best I could conjure up was some smoked salmon which came in a little plastic bag, some flavored potato chips and some green olives). A cook I am not!!!













Patisseries
There was also a fabulous bakery or Patisserie down the street called Poilane's.  We bought cookies, brioche bread and other bread items there.  They open early and we were right there to buy our fresh bread.  One time when we went there and Brenda added some cookies to the mix and the bill was 26€ .  Ouch!  Lavanson  loved their apple turnovers.






Boutiques and Shopping
There were pricey  little boutiques and shops everywhere in our neighborhood.  There was even a Repetto Shoe store right around the corner from our apt and I bought yet another pair of shoes (after buying 3 pairs at the Repetto store in the Marais. Reppetto makes handmade shoes for ballerinas.  I love their display windows (which they change very frequently).



Repetto Saint-Germain-des-pres
 I bought these in black, only because they didn't have my size in navy blue



You can choose your own colors for your shoes 
@ the Repetto's location in the Galleries Lafayette

Also a couple of blocks away was an Esteban Parfume store. Esteban is my favorite perfume these days.  I bought 2 new scents.  I discovered a new scent by another Paris Parfum maker named Lubin, but I didn't buy it this time. Will keep it in mind for future reference as the shop owner gave me a sample.



another favorite store, Sabon


Fashion



Brenda and I had a ball walking through the neighborhood  going in and  out all the shops. I found it interesting that the French have the same stores within blocks of each other. I suppose it is because they often shop in their own neighborhoods, so each area is fully self contained. Must work or they wouldn't do it. I loved it!


The French women were dressed very well as usual. They are still on average, very slender women (I would guess that smoking as much as they do, adds to their ability to stay thin). I'm not exactly sure what it is but they just have the knack for style.  Even the older ladies looked Chic as the walked down the streets. I didn't notice any French women with "bed head" (thrown together/uncombed hair dos) Seems that they have decided to join in with the rest of the fashion chic and which now includes well coiffed hair.


The French have started to wear a lot of blue jeans, especially the younger people.  I didn't see any young people sporting "pants on the ground" jeans. (Seems they understand that baggy, sagging pants IS NOT a fashion statement. Didn't see a single jogging suit the whole time I was in Paris. Saw No women running to the market in rollers or looking sloppy.  Scarves were tied around the necks of locals and tourists alike.  I bought about 9 or 10 scarves.  Nothing fancy or elaborate and I got a good deal on them on one of the tour stops on the Red Bus. You will see me sporting them around town.


This concludes my blogging from Air France
Tomorrow I will continue with tours and activities


I'm Just Sayin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments: