Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Commentary on the Tragedy in Tucson

I wasn’t going to comment on the horrible tragedy in Tucson this past weekend, but as I continue to listen to people on TV vehemently denouncing---any connection----between the vitriol spewed over the airwaves by some television and radio commentators on a daily basis…and the shooting of innocent people at a political rally, well….I must speak out. I’ll try to keep it short.
Rush Limbaugh lashed out today, calling coverage of the story “childish and immature” Limbaugh says  Loughner didn’t watch Fox, was a nut, blamed heavy metal and his parents.

Do we really need 100% proof that this crazed gunman was influenced by an unending climate of hatred? Even If he wasn’t influenced by "political" TV and radio, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t others out there who are. Maybe they haven’t yet acted but the possibility is there. 

That’s the point! 

And...of course there are other violent influences out there. We know that too.

Instead of these commentators and their supporters taking this opportunity to acknowledge that it is at least a  possibility and making a commitment to dial back the hate speech, they continue to defend their behavior and take no ownership.

I have worried for the safety of President Obama since he took office and I have often wondered how supposedly sane people could support a Sarah Palin who uses maps with cross hairs and speaks about not retreating but reloading. I know that President Obama could never have been elected to office had he campaigned in this manner. For some reason Sarah Palin continues to be a viable candidate to some people on the right. I don’t understand it. I just don’t.
 
Is free speech free - if it costs someone their life?

I'm Just Sayin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments: