Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Search Begins

Guinea Bissau: Trip to the Bread Hut


Today was a very good day for me where my Africa project is concerned. As I mentioned yesterday, it is vital that I find a reputable organization to work with.

In my research I located an organization called Life Link. They support an orphanage, Casa Emanuel located in Guinea Bissau.  I contacted their president, Connie Alessi. It looks like they have a very good program. 
I asked Connie some questions about the organization.


Casa Emanuel

Urbandoggs: Are you a private orphanage or associated with a larger corporation? 

Connie A: Casa Emanuel is a private orphanage. Dr. Isabel Johanning-Mora - the director - started the orphanage about 12 years ago and I joined as a partner in 2004. While they have their NGO in Guinea-Bissau they needed someone in the States who could fund-raise and offer tax deductions to donors.  (Life Link has 4 other orphanages in Africa- 1 in Benin and 3 in the Ivory Coast). 100% of funds designated for Guinea-Bissau go there. Non designated donations are divided between all 5 orphanages.

Urbandoggs: is it the only orphanage in Guinea Bissau? 

Connie A: They are not the only  orphanage in Guinea-Bissau but  (I think) the biggest and best equipped. We have a school and a small hospital and are expanding to a second orphanage as soon as the other homes are finished.

Urbandoggs: 155 children seems like a lot of kids. Are they there because their parents have abandoned them or because they have passed away from Aids or something?

Connie A: Yes to all of the above. The majority of the children are under 5 years old.  WE have children who are AIDS orphans, regular orphans and abandoned. When the mother dies in child birth or the child is considered to have some defect or there are twins, they are considered a "curse" and the father tries to kill them.  Most of our babies have been rescued by a relative or friend and brought here. Sometimes the police bring a child.

Urbandoggs: Can you sponsor a child through your organization? I might really be interested in this as well. 

Connie A: Yes, you can sponsor a child thru Life Link. I will put you in contact with Dr. Isabel or if you don't speak Spanish, with her interpreter, Maritza Alvarez-Romero. They will assign you a child and you will send the monthly support to me. I will send the money at the end of the month with their regular monthly support with a note that it is for your child.  You will receive a picture from them and updates.  We suggest at least a $30 a month donation to sponsor a child but the amount if at your discretion.

Urbandoggs: What city is it located?

Connie A: The orphanage, school and hospital are located in the outskirts of Bissau. And the new orphanage is in the town of Bissalanka just 10 minutes from Casa Emanuel -Bissau.  (One reason we so desperately need the van!)

Urbandoggs: How many girls and how many boys?

Connie A: I am not sure of the current breakdown I will ask Maritza to send it to me.

Urbandoggs: Do you think I would ever be able to go over to see the orphanage?

Connie A: As for visiting the orphanage, you would be welcome. I was there last year and it was safe.  If you want to visit, you can email the orphanage with the times you want to come and they will let you know if it is convenient and give you the details.




After learning that Life Link supports 4 other orphanages I contacted Rachel O’Neill to inquiry about her efforts in Benin & the Ivory Coast. She said that she is not currently providing dresses in those countries but is very interested in expanding there. 

It's an ambitious goal, but If I can gather enough interest we may be able to extend to those areas as well.

Special Mention:
I want to say here, that everyone I have mentioned “My Girls of GB Project” to, has been interested in helping. It’s amazing! I want to give a special thanks to my friend, Ms Starr, who very early yesterday morning emailed me to volunteer her sewing skills to help us kick off the first “Little Dresses for Africa”. This demonstrates the kindness and generosity that I believe resides within us all.

I’ll be contacting most of you who read my blog to enlist your help. Feel free to pass the information along. This would also make a great fundraiser project. There are so many ways people can help and I’ll need all the help I can get! Kickoff in January 2011.
Suggestions welcome.

Links:
I'm Just Sayin!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments: