Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mediterranean - Day 8 Kusadasi, Turkey


Welcome to Kusadasi, Turkey



I was very surprised when we arrived in Turkey today. It was nothing like I had envisioned. Instead of finding an old fashioned town stuck in the past, I was greeted by a very cosmopolitan seaside resort.  The city dates back some 8,000 years. Today it is a thriving port with a population of approximately 50,000. 

As I write this they are conducting afternoon prayers in the city and I can hear it here on the ship.

Today’s tour had us up and at breakfast by 6:30am. We were to meet at 7:05 am for the tour. As, it turns out, that was a very good thing as it is much cooler in the morning. The afternoon heat can be unbearable.  Our tour guide told us that yesterday there were so many ships in port that the ruin site had 15,000 visitors….all at one time!

Ephesus, is one of the most fascinating and well preserved archeological sites on the eastern Mediterranean. It was a city of about 250,000 and was one of the most important cities in the Roman Empire (2nd largest). Ephesus was a center of worship to the goddess Cybele.






lots of cats in Greece & Turkey


After the tour, our guide took us back into downtown Kusadasi to shop, but not before we sat through a “required” demonstration on Turkish carpet making.  They showed us a real “flying carpet” and served us apple tea, Turkish coffee and Raki, a strong alcoholic drink (no time to look up proper spelling) After being “approached” by what seemed like all 25 employees of the 4 generation family business we finally escaped into the marketplace bazaar. (Well, at least I can’t complain that they close for the long lunch) I had planned to pick up some souvenirs but after being solicited and followed by nearly every vendor in the market place we decided to head for the ship. I don’t think I’ve ever been greeted as “hey soul sister” so many times. I had a bit of a headache and was happy for the familiar sight and the sanctuary of our ship.

yes, the original FAKE started here folks! 




BTW- If you receive a souvenir gift from me from Kusadasi you should consider yourself VERY lucky!!! And, you will owe me one!


I’m Just Sayin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I viewed this at work(with Colleen and Carri) and we all enjoyed your amazing photos, especially the ones of greece!
Thanks soul sister, ha ha.

Devon said...

Thanks ladies!

Toni said...

There is so much of ancient cultures we know nothing about -- the pictures of Turkey are beautiful though the trinket markets are the same everywhere. I am always happier to bring home memories, not junk!!

Devon said...

Ok, so I'll give your trinket to someone else! Ha Ha ha