Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Art of the Social Kiss

Faire la Bise
I was reading a couple of my favorite blogs today (not of the political persuasion) and I came across the topic "the culture of kissing in France" (socially speaking, of course). Oh boy, once again I have discovered something that I have no idea about. I found the subject intriguing and something I probably should be aware of before I make my trip to Paris. So, I thought I would share it with you.
As it turns out, even in the most bohemian of settings, in Paris, the double-kiss on the cheek is mandatory. When you arrive, you kiss hello and when you say good-bye, you kiss good-bye. And, you are supposed to kiss EVERYONE on the cheek! From what I could determine many Americans (since we are not as physical with strangers) are rather confused about which cheek to kiss first. The consensus is, you extend your right cheek but go in to kiss the left cheek first then right. Got that? Also you don't actually touch the cheek when kissing. It's more of an air kiss accompanied by an audible smacking sound(kinda like on Project Runway when Heidi Klum says "you're out" "auf wiederswhen" kiss, kiss ).


The number of kisses varies widely depending on which part of Europe you are in. Double kissing is standard in Paris, while 4 kisses is customary in the South of France.


Ahhh. So much to learn. So little time! smack....smack


And to make matters worse.......
There are some DANGERS in engaging in the double kiss
Please watch the video below very closely.
Warning- this video is graphic

**Note- To kiss or not to kiss. Oh well, when in doubt try waiting to see if they kiss you first or...you can always extend your hand and go in for the good ole fashioned American handshake!
I'm Just Sayin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my. There IS a lot to learn before you go to France.

I vote that you get Cliff Notes. LOL